 |
| Vaduz Castle, which overlooks the city. |
|
On Friday, we woke up and caught a bus to Vaduz, Liechtenstein. Liechtenstein is the fourth smallest principality in Europe, at 25km by 6km. Upon arrival, we checked out the tourist office, where we picked up a city map and got souvenir stamps in our passports for two euros apiece.
 |
| Sheep in the royal vineyards. |
We first set out to pick up a few bottles of Liechtenstein wine as
gifts, something I had done myself when I was there about five years
ago. On our way there we passed a few sheep grazing in the royal
vineyards. While most were skittish, this one to the left was rather
bold and hung around to check us out. We got a few bottles of wine in the
Hofkellerei des Fürsten von Liechtenstein, the Princely Wine Cellar, and headed back towards town through the vineyards.
 |
| Leah, overlooking the city. |
|
We then headed up the mountain towards Vaduz Castle. Although the castle itself is closed to the public, the hike up there afforded us some great views of the city and surrounding mountains, as well as placards that taught us all about the history of Liechtenstein, Vaduz, and the royal family. After that, we came back down the mountain and checked out the rest of the city, including the cathedral and the princely vault, the burial place for the royal family.
In planning this trip, we had originally intended to spend two days in Vaduz, but decided not to because of the high cost of lodging. I'm happy with the decision we made, because as pretty as Vaduz and Liechtenstein are, I don't think we could have spent two days there. There just isn't that much to do. I'm glad that we split up our time between Feldkirch and Vaduz.
As usual, the rest of these photos are available
here.
No comments:
Post a Comment